Two August Girls

A Blog about reading and everything else.....

Friday, January 18, 2008

Defeat the Winter Doldrums Swap Weekly Question

Weekly Topic: Dishrag. Dishcloth. Face cloth. I've seen folks get all fired up in forums when someone refers to their knit or crochet creation as a dishrag, as that's somehow offensive to them! When you're working on yours, what do you call them? Also, is there a difference between a dishrag and a dishcloth? How bout a facecloth? Are they all really the same thing?

First let me say, I am not that particular and mostly use sponges(for my kitchen get your mind outta the gutter). However, if someone took the time to knit or crochet me a dishcloth, I would NEVER refer to it as a dish rag. I think the term rag implies used up and ready to be used as a household rag to dust or clean the floor:)

A face cloth to me would be softer knit, ie: not knit to scrub, and is used in the shower. I personally call them wash cloths but I think it depends on your location.

When I work I mine I call it what it is going to be used as, ie: I made my daughter a face cloth with a butterfly pattern in pink and then I made a heart designed dish cloth.

Have a Great Weekend!!!

No comments: