Two August Girls

A Blog about reading and everything else.....

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Lesson from a Dead Girl by Jo Knowles


Lessons from a Dead GirlLessons from a Dead Girl by Jo Knowles
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I decided to download this book after reading Jo Knowles book, See You at Harry's! I was not disappointed. I downloaded it Friday and read it while my daughter had a figure skating lesson.
This book will not disappoint, and in spite of containing 200+ pages it is a quick read, honestly, I could not put it down.
Lainey is an unsure and sad teenager who has experienced the death of a former best friend as the book opens. Her reaction to the death troubles her and she is angry and unsure. The book then begins to recount the story of their friendship in flashbacks from 5th grade till the final night of Leah's life.
As an adult, who has kids and works with girls, the trauma of Leah is apparent from the first time they play house, but too a kid it is raw, vivid and sad. It is spot on with all the tell tale signs of trauma and abuse. Victimization, suicide attempts, substance abuse and reckless behavior.
The writing style is raw, painful and precise. It is nothing short of brilliant, in its anguish and raw pain. The shame, hurt and despair that Lainey feels is overwhelming, I could feel it myself. Ms. Knowles not only meets but exceeds expectation and characterization of two young women who share a dark secret.
Additionally, the ending gave me hope and fully wrapped up the plot and story. I felt like Lainey was going to be okay and that for the first time she was free.
This is a must read for adults and teens. I do not believe in censorship so you must decide for yourself what your child is able to handle as all kids are different.


View all my reviews

No comments: